Effect of Acupuncture as claimed by practitioners
1. Analgesic (pain relieving) effect: This is the best known effect of Acupressure. The pain of Arthritis, toothache, headache, backache and other painful disorders are relieved after the Acupuncture treatment.
2. Sedative effect: Needling of certain specific Acupuncture points results in sedation. This effect is the basis of utilising Acupuncture for the treatment of anxiety status, insomnia, epilepsy, addiction, and behaviour problems.
3. Homoeo static effect: This means adjustment of the internal environment of the body towards a state of normal balance. The respiration, heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature, metabolic rate, electrolyte balance etc are normalised.
4. Effects on the Nervous system: Acupressure has calming and tranquilising effects. In conditions like Parkinsonism, there is a decrease in dopamine content of the brain.
5. Motor recovery: Even late cases of motor paralysis are said to respond to Acupuncture therapy.
6. Immunity – enhancing: Body resistance to diseases gets strengthened.
7. Effects on blood vessels and blood: Blood pressure, if high, comes down after Acupuncture treatment. It should be noted that Acupressure does not lower the blood pressure beyond the normal values.
8. Effects on digestive system and respiratory system: Acupressure improves digestive power, and the efficiency of respiration. diarrhoea, appendicitis, and abdominal colic can be treated by Acupressure. Acute Asthma attack can be relieved through specific Acupressure points.