Diseases and Diagnosis
The Causes of Diseases
Siddha medicine, according to Theraiyar, identifies 11 reasons for illnesses:
- Altered or improper food habits
- Excessive activity
- Karma, or the outcome of the actions of past birth
- Polluted water
- Over exposure to sun
- Speaking too loudly
- Over indulgence in sex
- Improper dress
Further, alcoholism, exposure to rain and wind,
seasonal and geographical changes, and faulty postures could also lead to ill health.
The Classification of Diseases
Four thousand four hundred and forty-eight types of diseases have been identified in Siddha.
These are classified under different heads.
- The variation in the three doshas due to various factors lead to disease. These have been identified and classified according to clinical symptoms.
- Types of pain.
- Classification by causes.
- Possession of evil spirits.
- Worm infestations.
- Classification according to the affected region.
- Diseases due to accidents.
- Diseases due to mental stress.